In this seasonal, part-time, position on weekends from Memorial Day through Columbus Day, Summit Stewards are responsible for patrolling the Catskill Park summit areas of Slide, Wittenberg and Cornell Mountains as well as other locations throughout the region. Summit Stewards provide the public with educational information that will ensure the safe and responsible use of hiking trails in the area. The Stewards have no enforcement responsibility.
The Summit Stewards work to encourage the best behavior on the part of hikers and campers, to facilitate a positive trail experience (particularly for those who are poorly prepared). They discourage and mitigate misuse of the trails, illegal camping and the surrounding lands by performing educational and public- relations functions and work to educate the public on fragile mountaintop ecosystems.
Stewards must be able to work both independently with minimal supervision and cooperatively as a member of a team. Applicants should demonstrate the interest and ability to contribute to the public-service effort of working to promote the responsible use of hiking trails and promote volunteer opportunities within the Catskill Park.
The Catskill Summit Steward program is a collaboration between the New York-New Jersey Trail Conference (Trail Conference) and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) managed by the Trail Conference.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Educate the public on the proper use of public lands and provide information on trail conditions and rules and regulations
• Educate the public regarding current topics that could influence fragile ecosystems of the Catskill high peaks, bilingual a plus
• Introduce trail users to the, HikeSafe and Leave No Trace hiking methods
• Assist visitors and hikers whenever possible; assist emergency-response agencies when requested, perform first aid and CPR in emergencies, be able to use a DEC issued radio responsibly.
• Notify the DEC Forest Ranger and Forester with respect to potential problems such as those involving hazardous trail conditions, public use, and emergencies that he/she encounters.
• Monitor and record human visitation patterns and ecosystem condition.
• Participate in a 2 week training in Lake Placid, NY with the ADK in early May
Minimum Qualifications for Backcountry Stewards
• Must be 18 years of age or older
• Proven ability to work alone with minimal supervision
• Excellent communication, diplomacy and education skills
• Ability to interact with the public under stressful conditions
• Must have a valid driver’s license
• Must have extensive hiking experience and the ability to hike over rough terrain and during inclement weather for several hours
• Must be certified in both Red Cross or equivalent First Aid and CPR (or willing to obtain certifications).
• All position offers are conditional upon completion of an acceptable check of the National Sex Offender Public Registry as well as state and federal criminal background checks.
To apply, please submit the following items via email attachments to email@example.com. Start all attachment filenames with your last name. Your email subject line should be: “Catskills Summit Steward Position.”
• Cover letter addressing your interest in this position and what skills and attributes you bring
All application materials will be kept confidential. The position is available until filled. Candidate interviews will begin immediately. No calls please.