If interested, fill out the application available as a PDF (http://www.woodstock.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/filling_vacancy_board.pdf) or in the library at the Circulation Desk. Please submit the completed application to the Library Director. Search will be open until vacancy filled.
Example of application below:
Filling a Vacancy on the Library Board
Approved at February 16, 2012 Board Meeting
The Woodstock Library Board works with and supports the Library staff and The Friends of the Library developing long range plans and goals for Library services. The Library Board members participate actively in a wide variety of activities in support of the Woodstock Library. The responsibilities include:
- Policy development
- Strategic planning
- Financial development and funds development (budget)
- Public relations
A board member must be willing and able to devote the necessary time to carry out responsibilities as a board member. This includes preparation and attendance at meetings, planning sessions, trustee training, committee meetings and other Library and community events as required, as well as participating in ongoing advocacy efforts on behalf of the library.
Preferable skill sets to become a member:
- Strong general level of awareness of the community in which the Library serves.
- Familiarity with or willingness to learn about the opportunities and challenges faced by a public library and its funding and budget process.
- Appropriate communication skills and the willingness and ability to represent the Library in the community.
- Readiness and ability to contribute and actively participate in Board initiatives.
- Ability to function in a collaborative environment with many key stakeholders and community partners.
- Commitment to ongoing personal growth and development as a Board Member.
A potential board member must be a resident of the Town of Woodstock, have a background, education, or experience in any of the areas of responsibilities mentioned.
Searching for a new Board member can be done by word of mouth, articles or advertisements in the local newspaper, networking in person or the internet. There is always an open invitation to sit in and observe Board meetings. Any potential candidate is encouraged to observe the Board process prior to appointment to gain a better understanding of how the Library Board works.
The candidate will fill out a three question application and attend a Board meeting. At the Board meeting the candidate will be interviewed by the entire current Board. An appointment to a vacancy is done by a majority vote of the current Board in a closed session. The vacancy will be filled until the end of the calendar year after the next library election in September.
Woodstock Public Library District Trustee Candidate Questionnaire
Please tell us something about yourself including experiences you have had that will help the Library.
Why would you like to serve on the Library Board?
What is your vision for Woodstock and how the Library can help the town move into the future?