Sullivan and Ulster Counties assess post-storm damage

The storm that swept across the region Wednesday resulted in major flooding and brought down trees and power lines across Sullivan and Ulster Counties. 

Sullivan County

Officials from the Sullivan County Highways & Bridge Department said County Routes 164, 128 and 127 were still closed as of Thursday afternoon, along with a half a dozen bridges which could be assessed more once the water recedes. 

Dick Martinkovic, Sullivan County’s commissioner of public safety told the Times Herald-Record that although the flash floods forced evacuations in the western parts of the county, there was no loss of life and no “serious, serious damage.” 

Jeffersonville Village Clerk Colleen Freitas told Watershed Post there was “easily 2 to 4 feet of water” flooding the streets during the worst of last night’s storm — the first summer storm to really hit the region. 

She said that while most of the roads are “passable,” there’s still damage along Maple Avenue and Routes 149 and 52. 

Freitas said damage in the village’s commercial district was particularly severe, leaving the area without water as of Thursday afternoon. 

“Right now they’re working toward getting water back [in the commercial district],” Freitas said. 

She said that once water services are restored, there will be portable water brought behind the village hall for use, since they also have a boil-water order in place. 

Next up will be community clean-up services to the damaged private property, businesses and roadways that were hit particularly hard. 

Ulster County

Ulster County Emergency Services Department Director Art Snyder said while the storm led to road closings yesterday, all roads in Ulster County are open today. 

Snyder said the storm didn’t hit one particular area hardest, rather, damage was “sporadic around the county” causing some trees and wires to fall, and even a few fires.

Esopus Fire Chief William Freer told the Times Herald-Record at least two fires were caused by lighting strikes. 

Freer also told the Times Herald-Record that a DPW worker, believed to be in his 20s, was taken to Mid-Hudson Regional Hospital in Poughkeepsie after he was struck by lighting working near the railroad tracks on Old Post Road. 

John Phillip Tappen contributed to the reporting of this story.