License to raptor

Want to nurse injured deer back to health, or hunt squirrels with a trained raptor?

The New York Department of Environmental Conservation is holding its exams for both falconry apprentices and wildlife rehabilitators on April 22. To take the exams, you must apply by April 1, and have a healthy appreciation for working with wild animals. 

You don't just need a good score on the exam to get either license. Wildlife rehabers are required to have two letters of recommendation and an in-person interview. And would-be falconers must have a Master Falconer willing to sponsor them, a federal permit, and, of course, access to a raptor, which can be either an American kestrel or a red-tailed hawk.

Photo by Flickr user tiarescott